One pan easy savoury rice that my fussy toddlers love. My measurements are very ‘approximate’ as I haven’t ever been exact with their amounts. Serves 5-6 and is great for leftovers. We also like it cold for lunch the next day!
It’s been a great Sunday night dinner served with chinese flavour marinated chicken wings.
- 1 ½ cups uncooked rice (preferably precooked and left to chill & dry out slightly in the fridge)
- ½ medium brown onion finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot finely diced
- ½ medium zucchini finely diced
- ½ red capsicum finely diced
- 4 mushrooms finely diced
- ½ cup frozen or tinned sweet corn
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup of shredded ham
- 1/3 – ½ cup soy sauce
Have all of your ingredients ready to go as cooking time is quite quick. In a large wok or fry pan heat some olive oil. Add each of the ingredients one at a time in this kind of order and allow the new ingredient to warm before adding the next – onion, ham, capsicum, mushroom, carrot, zucchini, corn then peas. Once all are warmed through add the rice, stir through the vegetables etc and add soy sauce. I recommend trying with less soy sauce until you determine how strong your children like it. More can be added at the table to suit each person’s taste.